Thursday 11 December 2014

Christmas-ey goodness!!

Mistletoe and wine...

It's Christmas!

The advent calendars are out, the Christmas adverts are playing and Slade, Maria Carey and Wizard are once more remembered for their contributions to the music industry. Snow has yet to fall here in England, and the chance of a white Christmas is not at all very likely. Christmas lights are everywhere, twinkling and flashing, adding magic to the most boring of scenes. 

It's a wonderful time of year, where we all feel like children, giddy with excitement as she we wait for Santa. Each family have their own traditions, waking up early, staying in your pyjamas, dressing up, opening your presents early, waiting to open your stocking until after dinner. Everyone is different. So we thought, that we would write a little post about a few of our favourite Christmas things. 

First up we have Christmas Dinner - because what is Christmas without dinner? Roast Turkey and all the trimmings. Roast potatoes, cranberry sauce, stuffing, parsnips, carrots, peas, gravy... Christmas cake - homemade in Abby's house, cheesecake shop bought in Shanice's house(we're far less traditional). Mince pies - also home made in Abby's house (on Christmas Eve before we venture down to our local pub for tea!) (none in Shanice's house. We all despise them) . Chocolates left out in baskets all over the house, taunting your waistline for the weeks that the decorations are out. All the time whilst the fire is lit, warming your toes after your return home from a long day. 

The next thing I love about Christmas is family. It's a time of year when we get to see those we love. For Abby that means leaving college and work at the door, and sitting with my family in the lounge, whilst the fire is roaring and we sit there watching Midsummer Murders (that Christmas episode in the Manor House where the man is killed in his study). It doesn't matter what you do, it's just the fact that you are together.

For Shanice this means an extreme amount of time playing monopoly with my siblings, and forever bickering over who's cheating, and at least one of us pulling out before the game ends because its taking too long (always my brother). One of my favourite traditions we have is that we always sleep in the same room on christmas eve. As we're all getting older this is proving much harder every year, but we HAVE to, so we're currently discussing our sleeping options as I'm writing this post!

Christmas is also awesome because of the Doctor who Christmas Special. Yeye! Eek! Sense Abby FANGIRLING right now!!

For Shanice this time of year always brings me a sense of sadness over lost TV shows. I'm referring to Wild At Heart which was always on at this time of year as I was growing up! The day I own the box set to watch it to my hearts content will be the best day of my life. Why do they cancel all the best shows :( My little heart is breaking all over again!

Obviously, there are all the other shows that do Christmas specials, and there is the Queen's speech which everyone has to have on, even if they're not watching it! (Shanice) Although I do watch it avidly every year because I LOVE the Queen!  That is the Christmas tv we love.

The last and Shanice's most favourite thing about christmas is giving gifts! The feeling I get when I see something and instantly think of someone is the best feeling ever. Nothing compares. It shows that you know the person and their little quirks so well that you see them in everywhere you go. Giving a gift to someone and them knowing how much thought you put into it is my favourite thing ever. Always guaranteed to make you feel all warm and fuzzy inside! Abby does the most incredibly thoughtful gifts. She is much better at it than I, and I lovelovelove the fact that she is so great at gifts!

Let the days be counted...


No comments:

Post a Comment