Sunday 4 January 2015

Study tips

A lot of people are going to have the resolution of working harder at school or college this year, and that is one of out aims too. Shabs have dealt with the pressure of school, the change as you go to sixth form and college, and as we are both in our second year so we are well and truly accustomed to the stress. So, we thought that we would share a few of our top tips when it comes to managing the load as exams near. 

Tip #1- have an organised calendar or diary
This is a must for me (Abby). I honestly do not know what I would do without my calendar, which this year just so happens to be a Nashville one - so highly attractive! Literally everything is on it, everyone's birthday and all that stuff you're expected to remember, but also I have everything else. From my work hours as soon as they are online, term dates, results day, and exams. Now one thing I do is write my exam name, seat number, and location on my calendar as soon as it is released. This is good because I see it more, and hence remember it. But also, when I have that mad panic and ring my mum to ask her what seat I'm in, she can see it really quickly and easily. 

Tip #2- revise early
I (Abby) have to admit that until this year I never really did this. I would start in May and that would be it. Buy honest to god, if there was one thing and one thing only I could tell you it would be this. START NOW. I've been writing my notes up since September, and it just makes everything so much easier. It is like having my own revision guide with everything I need in it. I rewrite what I have written in class, and highlight all the key points before putting them in a folder. I'm now starting to make case cards for law too. Basically, rewrite, rewrite, rewrite if you're like me and learn that way. 

Tip #3- be organised
This is kind of linked with the whole calendar thing, but organisation makes everything so much easier. Have a folder per subject, even go as far as Abby and have a highlighter colour per subject. Keep everything in one place. It makes finding stuff so much easier, and your room looks tidy - meaning no moaning from parents (BONUS!). 

Tip #4- destress
Take me-time at least for a good half hour before you go to bed. Otherwise, you just lie awake and have everything running around your head. Make sure you get enough sleep and find the best way to manage your thoughts and worries. Try yoga, or even just breathing excersizes. Sit with your earphones in and take a deep breath. Don't overload with revision in one go, take a break, have a snack and a drink, then return to it. 

Tip #5- eat and drink well 
Drink plenty, try to avoid sugary fizzy drinks that don't hydrate you and opt for water. Or, it you prefer something with a flavour then go for cordial (is also tastes just as nice even when your water isn't icy). Try to eat plenty of fruit and veg, but make sure you have a healthy portion of chocolate evey now and again too. It is good for motivation. (Abby: when I did French I despised revision, so I used to sit with a bar of chocolate and tell myself for every sentence I remembered correctly I could have a piece. I was motivated!)

Tip #6- surround yourself with people
Sometimes revision can seem a lonely thing. Sat in your room alone with a textbook. So try to sit with people if you can. Meet up with friends, whether they do the same subject or not, you can help one another. Asking questions and testing each other always helps. Plus, you'll have a few laughs while you're revising. 

Do you have any advice for us when it comes to revision?

If you study either English language or tort law at A-level then why not check out Abby's revision blogs? Head in a law book, and Head in an English book. 

No comments:

Post a Comment