Monday 26 May 2014

'So many books, so little time'

Hi guys!
ok so today we're talking books! Since we're both students (which automatically equals us being broke the majority of the time) one of our favourite pass times is reading!
We both have our individual tastes in books but we love swapping books and reading something the other one loves!


Abby:
I'm currently reading: F is for Fugitive, by Sue Grafton
So, this is the sixth book in the Kinsey Milhone series. A series which (funnily enough) focuses around Kinsey Milhone, a private investigator based in Santa Theresa, California. What's different though is that all of the series take place in the 1980's, meaning that the work she does is proper investigative work - therefore  you don't have to be a technology genius to understand what is going on.
This series is one of my favourites, and I discovered it about 4 years ago in Spain when I had run out of books whilst in a villa in the middle of no where. Thank fully there was a bookcase, which, low and behold contained 'C is for Corpse', my first Grafton book. The way I would describe them is almost a toned down James Bond, and Grafton actually writes a lot like Flemming. The beauty of which is that everything is described in a poetic like way.
F is for Fugitive focusses on Bailey, a man convicted of the murder of Jean Timberlake when he was younger. Only he escaped prison and laid low for many year until now, when a simple case of mistaken identity brings him to the Police's attention. Kinsey is consequently drafted in by Bailey's father to try and prove his innocence - whether she succeeds or not I am yet to discover.

Summer recommendation: Heat Wave, by Richard Castle (and then the rest of the Nikki Heat series)
Anyone familiar with the ABC TV show Castle, will recognise the name of this author. That is because, the fictional character 'Richard Castle' and the author of this series is one and the same. In fact, it's all based around the show it's self. To anyone who does not know what I'm currently rambling on about, Castle is a show which focuses on the New York Police department, and the team of Kate Beckett. Richard Castle is an award winning crime novelist who, thanks to his connections, gets to shadow Beckett on cases in order to research his new book. The new book is about a Police detective Nikki Heat - yep, you got it, these are the books he writes in the show.
Most people will write them off, thinking they're just the standard copy cat style, but don't. This is one of the whitty-est series around, and I highly recommend it.
The light hearted style is perfect for some poolside reading or garden lounging.

Shanice:
I am currently reading: the Gone series by Michael Grant. This is comprised of 6 books all set in the fictional small American town of Perdido Beach.The basic plot is that everyone 15 and over disappears and the whole area is trapped in an impenetrable energy barrier. Due to this everywhere erupts into chaos and when kids start developing powers things take a dark turn. It is a science fiction series with a little bit of horror thrown into the mix.
I discovered this series while I was very ill. I couldn't physically move out of my bed for a good week, so I laid and read all six books in one week!  I also had periods of hallucination during this time because I was so ill, mixed with reading these books, was very odd! Although this is not to put anyone off, it was a very very funny and strange experience!
I am re-reading this series because it is just SO great! With so many unexpected twists and it taking a turn for the dark side it's something I could read over and over again! It is immensely popular series worldwide and I'll be shocked if you haven't heard of it!


Summer recommendation: The Hunger Games. By Suzanne Collins. This is without a doubt one of the best book series I have ever read. I can not put into words how much I love these books. The films are amazing but they don't do any justice to the books. I know personally so many people that have hated reading, and they've tried these books and just can't put them down!
These books are perfect for the summer. You can pick them up and put them down and pick them up again and remember exactly what happened because it's such an easy read. I lovelovelove books like that! 


So let us know if you've read any of these books, if you love them or hate them, or if you've got any that you'll think we'll love! 

                        Shabs x 

No comments:

Post a Comment